Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Ferris Bueller's got nuttin on my Mom

Well, today was one of those days that you could never predict when you wake up but that you will remember for a long time to come.

It was slow to start, or should I say *I* was slow to start. My dad came into my room at 7am as usual, but I was snoozing away. So, he let me sleep. When he came back in at 7:30am I was up and happy to start the day.

I took my breakfast on the road (a sippy cup of milk and a waffle - yum). And when dad dropped me off, I went right over and started playing with my friend A. in the sand. It was gonna be a good day.

Around 10am, my teacher D. noticed that my rash was getting kind of bad. She called my dad to say that, while it was nothing to worry about, he might want to make an appointment to take me to the doctor. So dad called mom and mom told dad to just go ahead and make an appointment. Before I knew it, it was 10:30am and my mom walked into Room 5 and said we were going to the doctor. Now, I may be just shy of 2 years old, but I wasn't born yesterday. I know that going to the doctor can be a scary thing. I was a little nervous. But mom promised to take me on a picnic in the park for lunch after the doctor. So, OK, I can get on board with that.

We had to go in the secret back door to the doctor. That's where kids go when they have something that is contagious and could get other kids sick. Then we went to room 9 which is now officially my favorite room in the doctors' office because it had great toys in it. I was playing with the toys and having lots of fun when the nurse came in and asked my mom if I would get on the scale. So, mom walked me out and showed me how to get up on the scale and how not to touch anything so they could get an accurate reading. I weigh 30 pounds! Woo Hoo.

After that, we went back into the room and I chose a book about lullabies for my mom to read to me. I got up on her lap and she read the book in all of her funny voices. She was making a funny dog voice when the doctor came in. He was really nice. My mom said his name was Doctor Woki and I called him Oki Woki. He took a look at my skin and told my mom it was a viral rash and that I should stay home from school today and tomorrow. Woo Hoo. He also said that my nose is gonna heal and I won't have a scar. Let's hope.

We left the doctor's office and that's where the greatest day ever began. First, mom said that we needed to get me some milk for my lunch. So she drove to a place called McDonald's. She drove up to a box and a voice asked her what she wanted to order. Then, we drove around and a lady in a funny hat gave my mom a bag that smelled really good. REALLY REALLY GOOD.

We drove to the park and parked along the road. Mom got me out and we walked over and sat under a tree. Mom unpacked my lunch (the lunch that I had brought to school). She gave me my soynut butter and jelly sandwich. Now, it looked pretty good, but what mom had smelled MUCH BETTER. She had something called McNuggets. And she let me have one. And I LOVED it. Then she let me have some fries. I don't know why, but she told me not to tell my dad. I don't know why my dad would care that I was eating the greatest tasting food in the world.

After lunch, mom took me home and got me all settled in for a nap. I slept from about 12:30pm till 3:30pm. Sweet. At school we have to get up at 2. So I got a whole extra hour and a half nap. When she came in to get me I was all rested and ready for my afternoon snack. My snack, oh, yes, my snack. First mom offered me hummus. But I said no. Then she asked me what I wanted and I said "cookies." Hey, if you don't try, you won't ever get anything. Well, my mom said OK and gave me 4 little ginger snaps. Then, she showed me how to make cookies taste even better by dunking them in my milk. Oh my goodness, that is good. I ate 3 of my 4 cookies and gave mom the last one. Then, mom asked me what I wanted to do and I said I wanted to watch the Wiggles. And mom said YES. She let me dance to the song I really like and then, she found another song all about Henry the Octopus that I had never seen before. She let me watch it 3 times and showed me how to dance with my arms. It was so much fun I couldn't believe my luck. After that we played with my little barn, read some books and drove the school bus around on the rug. We went upstairs and colored, watched firetrucks and laughing babies on You Tube and then watched movies of me at the ocean when I was just a little baby. This was such a fun afternoon I just wanted to jump for joy. Unfortunately, it's where I decided to jump that put a damper on my fun. Mom and me went back downstairs and she said I could watch Mickey Mouse while she put the dishes away. But while I was watching the TV show, I stood up and jumped on the couch. This made mom real mad. She says that I could really get hurt if I jump on the couch. She told me I couldn't sit on the couch anymore and that I couldn't watch Mickey Mouse anymore. I threw a FIT. But mom didn't cave. But she didn't want me to cry either. So, she closed the dishwasher and took me outside on the front steps. We hung out on the steps for a while and watched the squirrels jump from tree to tree and mom made a funny sound with her mouth and got the squirrel to come down the tree and look right at her. It was cool. I tried to make the sound too, but I don't quite have it yet.

I calmed down out on the porch and mom asked me what I wanted for dinner. I said "jelly sandwich." I was supposed to eat it for lunch, and, I thought it would still be good for dinner. It was. Mom made it special this time by mixing the soynut butter and the jelly together into a schmere before she put it on the bread. Yum. It was good.

While I was eating dinner, dad came home and we finished up the day as one happy, laughing and smiling family.

Don't get me wrong, I like going to school, but hanging out with mom today was really super fun.

No comments: