Sunday, September 21, 2008

Life's A Zoo

Today was a banner day. After a hearty breakfast consisting of a banana, a fried egg, some tiny toast (my mom found this little ethnic grocery store that sells loaves of bread that look just like regular loaves of bread except that they're toddler size. I love the middle east!) and several glasses of milk, mom, dad and I packed up our lunches and headed over to the zoo.

I don't know if you guys have ever been to the LA Zoo but it's pretty awesome. We have these two cats at home, Boo and Dynamite, and they're okay and all but the zoo has some pretty crazy animals I've only read about. We have a family pass so we strolled right in and out first stop was by the sea lions but they must have been sleeping or something because they weren't out. So we said bye bye and started walking up the little ramp to get into the zoo proper when we saw a peacock just standing there. He was totally just standing there and I waved to him and I wanted to get down from the stroller and pet him but my mom told me that peacocks can be pretty mean and aggressive and bitey and that I was better off just waving and saying hi. She even told me that some people in the South put peacocks in their yards to act as guard dogs. Some day when I have a house with a yard I'm totally going to have guard peacocks.

After our run in with the peacock we swung by and saw the flamingos who, by the way, were dressed just like mom and me. Check it out for yourself:



After the flamingos we headed straight toward this new exhibit they have there called the Campo Gorilla Reserve where we saw a bunch of cool gorillas, including Kelly the silverback. Here's a picture of me and my dad. You can't really see the gorilla in this one:


And here's a close up of the gorilla:


It was pretty outstanding.

Then we saw these really cool giraffes:


And after the giraffes we headed up the hill and saw the chimps. Chimps! They were jumping around and swinging and I loved it so much we decided to have our lunch right there in this little bench area. We spread our picnic blanket and ate our sandwiches and we could see the chimps and it was pretty fun. There I was, eating a jelly sandwich, grapes and some oranges and I could see chimps. It was like they were having lunch with us.

After lunch dad sort of put the kibosh on the rest of the day saying that I had to get home and nap and on the way out we went past elephants and orangutans and on our way out we stopped by and got a purple gorilla plush doll (it was free with mom's membership!) and by the time we made it to the car I was pretty tired and I put up something of a fight getting into the carseat but dad rolled down my window and I was okay. For a little while.

As you know from yesterdays entry I'm going to try sleeping without a pacifier and I have to be honest, it's pretty awful. I just could not sleep at nap time no matter how tired I knew I was or how I knew I had to rest my body. But I tried and slept a little bit and I cried a lot and then before I knew it mom and dad were there and they were taking me to the park and that was really fun. I went down the slide a bunch of times and played in the sand until it was time to go home. Mom tells me that we're having meatloaf cupcakes, recipe courtesy of Auntie Lisa, for dinner. And then it's off to bed without a pacifier again.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: