Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sleepless Pt.2

So I know I promised myself and mom and dad that I would try my hardest to not get upset when it was time for sleep but it turned out to be a lot harder than I thought.

Just like last night, and all the nights before that I can remember, everything went according to plan. Dad picked me up from school, I got my ladybug lunchbox we drove home where mom had dinner waiting for us (and it was my favorite - gnocchi and peas!) After dinner we went upstairs and I had a nice bubble bath and sat on the potty and brushed my teeth and got dressed for bed. Dad and I read out three books and mom sang my songs.

But the second she put me in the crib I started to freak out. And freak out uncontrollably. I don't know if it was because I just wanted to look at her or if I wanted her to hold me or what but I did not want her to go. She told me that she had to go but that dad would be up in 10 minutes to check on me.

She told me she loved me and left the room.

And there I was. Alone in the dark. And I just started screaming and crying and wailing and I was just so sad. After what seemed like an eternity but what really must have been just 10 minutes, dad came in and picked me up and we sat in the chair and he gave me warm milk and it was good and it calmed me down. We rocked for a few minutes but when he put me back into the bed, I started to cry again. He told me he loved me and that he would be back in 10 minutes to check on me.

Well, I screamed for 10 minutes straight. Before I knew it, dad was back in the room carrying a blanket and a pillow. I desperately wanted him to pick me up but he said no, I was a big girl and needed to go to sleep. He was willing, however, to lie on the floor next to my crib so I knew he was a around.

It wasn't the best arrangement as far as I was concerned seeing as how I wanted him to hold me but I was able to look at him through the slats of my crib railing. And it was comforting to know he was right there.

And I fell asleep.

No comments: